Saturday, January 29, 2005

 

I like the Wizard of Oz...

...I like the Tin Man! :-)



Click image for bigger...will open in separate browser window.

This is my second effort using Tim Holtz' Distress Inks™. The "Wizard of Oz" stamp (Stamping Ground) is based on illustrations from the original books, so I thought it was a good choice for the vintage look that the inks provide. The actual card is not as yellowy as this scanned-in image is.

First I cut some cream-colored cardstock to the size of the front of a plain card. I distressed it using the crumpled paper technique, as described in this post, using the Distress Ink in Mustard Seed. This was attached to the front of the card.

I distressed some of the same cream cardstock by just rubbing the inkpads onto the paper...I used several colors here...Walnut Stain, Tea Dye, Vintage Photo and Mustard Seed. These were torn to use as backing for the image and the main text. I think the effect is cooler if you tear the paper towards you rather than away, as the un-inked layer underneath will be exposed.

The "Wizard of Oz" people were stamped onto cream cardstock with the Walnut Stain ink, and then I used a color duster to apply a little Mustard Seed and Vintage Photo inks. This was mounted onto the distressed backing as shown. "FOLLOW the yellow brick road" was computer-generated onto vellum and stuck to the other distressed backings.

Before I attached it all together, I just laid the pices onto the card and thought that it needed something more. I liked the idea of background text, so I typed out the words to "We're Off To See The Wizard/Follow The Yellow Brick Road", copied and pasted to repeat, and printed it onto a sheet of vellum larger than the card. I then cut it to the size of the card and used a Xyron® machine to attach it to the distressed yellow card. All of the other stuff was then attached, ending with the inage, where I used gold eyelets as both an attaching means and an embellishment.

BTW, I bought that stamp a long time ago, when I first started stamping. This is the first time that I have used it. I always say that if you see a stamp that you really love ("The Wizard of Oz" is my favorite movie), buy it, even if you have no immediate use for it. Someday you WILL use it! :-)