Wednesday, January 12, 2005

 

Hand-Stamped Jewelry Part 2

Christine asked me to explain about the jewelry I made for her. Do you remember Shrinky Dinks from when you were a kid? Well, they've grown up! They now make Shrinky Dinks for use with rubber-stamps. They even make some for use with ink jet printers.

The jewelry was done on the kind for rubber-stamps. It has a slick side and a rough side. I stamped Missy the kitty stamp on the rough side of the Shrinky Dink sheet. I colored Missy using regular colored pencils. Missy is supposed to be lavender with a pink collar, but the lavender came out more gray than lavender. I drew an oval around each stamped image using my shape cutter template, colored a lavender and pink line around each oval and then cut them out. (I couldn't use my shape cutter because it wasn't strong enough to cut through the thick plastic) I then punched a hole, using a large hole puncher, at the top of each piece. (be sure to do this before you shrink them, because once they're shrunk you won't be able to) They then were place in the oven on a pie pan. It took about 3 minutes to shrink. Very simple and fun.